WASHINGTON -- Our Revolution on Wednesday released the following "founding statement," adopted unanimously by all 11 board members:
We are all honored to be members of the Board of Directors of Our Revolution, inspired by Bernie Sanders and his historic presidential campaign. The campaign was always about the movement we were building, as well as supporting a truly amazing candidate.
We are all volunteers in Our Revolution, as we were in the campaign, and we are honored to be on the front lines with tens of thousands of volunteers and millions of supporters. The launch of Our Revolution was viewed by more than 400,000 of us, including more than 60,000 who attended the 2,600 events.
We are committed to the following:
- Great groups — We pledge to support the diversity of the groups and networks that made Bernie 2016 unique. We will not all agree on everything, but we will work towards unity on many things.
- Great causes — We will support movements organizing around the critical issues facing us. Sometimes these issue campaigns will stretch out for months or years, like the campaign to stop the Trans-Pacific Partnership. But we are also prepared to seize the moment, supporting campaigns like the fight against the Dakota Access Bakken pipeline in North Dakota and Iowa.
- Great candidates and ballot measures — We will endorse candidates in primaries and general elections. We will back ballot measures that help create a 21st century democracy and help get big money out of politics, as well as other issues that promote racial, environmental and economic justice.
We are all committed to Bernie’s bold progressive agenda. We are committed to conducting state-based outreach and political strategies. We are committed to leadership diversity, not only for this board, but in our staffing and leadership at all levels. We are committed to democratic decision-making, transparency, political independence and small-dollar fundraising.
Full board list below:
- Nina Turner - Fmr. Ohio State Senator
- Deborah Parker - Native American Leader
- Ben Jealous - Civil Rights Leader
- Jim Hightower - Political Leader, National Radio Commentator & Writer
- Jim Zogby - Arab American Human Rights Leader
- Huck Gutman - Former Chief of Staff for Senator Bernie Sanders
- Jane Kleeb - Environmental and Rural Leader
- Lucy Flores - Fmr. Nevada Assemblywoman
- Larry Cohen - Labor
- Catalina Velasquez - Immigration, Reproductive Justice and Trans Queer Liberation Leader
- Shailene Woodley - Actress and Environmental Leader